Monday, January 17, 2011

A year of firsts.

Tomorrow it will be a year to the day since you left us. This past year has been a year of firsts for me. My first birthday without you, the first Father's Day without you. The first time I didn't send a card or call you on your birthday (or, let's face it a day or two after your birthday). We celebrated our first Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year without you. It's been a long, difficult year. We've gone through your things, one by one. You really had a lot stuff! We joked about how pissed you'd be to see us getting rid of it all. And now, we've sold your home. Saying goodbye has been a long, painful process. Things haven't always gone as smoothly as I'm sure you would have wanted but we're doing the best that we can. I think we're all going to be okay. I think you'd be proud. Not a day goes by where I don't think about you, Dad. And tonight into tomorrow, though it hurts so bad, I'll be remembering your last hours. I'll be thinking about how this is yet another first. The first anniversary. I hope you're okay. I hope, wherever you are, you're at peace. I love you. I miss you.

No comments: