Saturday, April 18, 2009

Friends

I don't have any friends. Mostly it's not a problem but lately I've been thinking about how this affects my daughters. I want them to have large support systems that include both family and friends. So...I'm making an effort to have some friends. Children learn from our example, right? So, I went for coffee the other night with an old school friend. We had a nice time although I was conscious the ENTIRE time about the fact that I'm much heavier now than I was in high school. I can't wait until that doesn't happen anymore.

3 comments:

Juice said...

Good for you for making the effort! I applaud you for wanting to model good behaviors for your kids. Sorry that you were trapped by your feelings / fears about being bigger - that is so hard to get past. Remember, that individual probably has her own set of private woes as well. They may not be visible on her body, but no one has a perfect life. Keep on reaching out and stretching yourself - you are doing great!

coco said...

I thought I was the only one who thought things like that. In recent years, I have taken to avoiding people because of it, but I have a sociable 6 year old son and I don't want him to be like this. Wow, it's good to know I'm not alone - makes it easier to confront the changes that need to be made.

"Jedopi" said...

I also feel that I have no friends. The only people that I ever see are a few of the moms at my boys' school bus stop in the morning. Sometimes if I feel well enough, I'll walk around the block with one of them, but usually I feel horrible, so I don't have much of a social life. She's one of those skinny moms anyway.

Even when we have family get togethers I feel uncomfortable because of my weight. I am the biggest in the family except for my brother-in-law. His wife (my husband's sister) used to be chubby but now she's lost about 20 lbs and only has about 10 more to go. I don't even feel comfortable around her anymore either.