Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's a long one!

Now then, first things first. I didn’t post my gain last week. It was just so bad that I didn’t dare admit to it. Now, I’m coming clean. I was up 4.8 lbs!! There were some factors that made it partially an artificial gain. But it wasn’t completely due to the fact that I wasn’t wearing my proper weigh in clothes, let me tell you! Anyhow…I didn’t freak out. I recommitted myself and I had a PERFECT week. That’s right! I did it!! In fact, as of right now (and there are still a few hours in the day) I still have 18 flex points left! AND I even used some for some chocolate! I got the good stuff too; a Lindt 70% Cacao with Caramel. Oh yes, gone are the days of wasting precious flex points on anything less than excellence!

And now for the question of the day. Did it pay off? Well, I was down 4.4 this week and am almost back to pre-holiday weight…so I’m going to say YES! And in keeping with my plan to focus only on small, small goals, I need to lose 3.6 lbs to (finally!) get that 15 lb star at WW. Now…I know that 3.6 lbs is more than the recommended loss for one week…but, I need to lose almost (oh yeah! ALMOST!!) 100 lbs and I’m pretty sure that us bigger folk can lose a little more than the recommended amount and not be in danger of starving…so I’m shooting for 3.6 this week!

I think I can do it. If I have another perfect week (pretty easy if I plan ahead) and I step up the exercise just a notch, I’ll bet I can.

And finally, I’d like to share a couple of tidbits from tonight’s meeting. My leader, let’s call her Janet (because that’s her name….hardy har har), is fantastic! She’s quite inspirational and has no problem telling it like it is. She likes to “rattle our cages” every now and again and she really challenges me to think differently.

Tonight she was talking about “Flexible Restraint”, which sounds like an oxymoron, but really isn’t. WW offers you the flexibility to make decisions about what you eat, where you eat, when you eat and, to an extent, how much you eat BUT also teaches restraint. And let’s face it, as much as we would all love to truly eat whatever we want, some restraint is required if it turns out that pizza, ice cream and chips is all you want. We talked about how food most definitely can be considered a “treat” but how it should never be considered a “reward”. A treat is something you indulge in once in awhile because…well, because it’s fun! Because it tastes good! Because you can! A reward…well, that’s completely different, isn’t it? A reward is something you get when you’ve been “good” and something you lose for being “bad”. Eating is not about being good or bad. Eating is about sustaining life.

She also said, now get ready for this, the food will still be there the next time we’re hungry!!! I know this seems really basic but it’s something that struck a chord with me. I sometimes eat to the point of discomfort, to put it mildly, and I’m not really sure why. But the fact is, if I stopped before that point I could always have more to eat later. I don’t have to eat like it’s the last meal I’m going to have for a month! Crazy, I tell you.

Crazy.

1 comment:

Juice said...

I have a hard time with restraint as well. In my house, if you didn't eat the sweets when you saw them, someone else would! Even though I can buy what I want now, I still have trouble with saving stuff for later.

Congrats on the loss this week!!!