Thursday, December 4, 2008

Are you ready for it?

Success stories all seem to have some things in common. The one that gets to me the most is when they say, "I was just ready to do it. You have to be ready and when you're ready the weight will come off."

Pardon? Oh, I'm ready! I've been ready for a long time! I was born ready. Seriously, I used to wonder what the heck that meant. But I get it now. I was equating readiness with wanting. I wanted it. I wanted it bad. I wanted to be thin more than anything. I really thought that I'd be happier if I was thinner. If wanting badly was enough, I'd have been thin a long time ago. Wanting does not equal readiness.

So what does it mean, then, to be ready?

I believe my "turning point" came one day when I was out for a walk on my lunch break. I blogged about it, actually. I didn't go into a lot of detail in my post, but the thing I remember the most about that walk is the realization that there is no magic pill. Nobody is going to do this for me. I can buy every diet book, magazine and pill there is and none of it will work because the only that works is, well, work. I came to the conclusion that I needed to eat less and move more. And that it was going to suck. It wasn't going to be fun. And it would come off so slowly and I would get so frustrated.

But at the same time, I felt optimistic. Because for the first time in a long time, I thought I just might be able to do it. For the first time in a long time, I had hope.

Now I'm not saying this is what ready means for everyone. I can (and did!) list many other reasons why I'm motivated to lose weight and possibly it's the combination of all of those things that keeps me going. I don't know. I don't have the answer. And I have a long way to go, yet. I'm sure I'll stumble. But it feels right this time.

I do know one thing that all of the people who have successfully lost weight have in common, though. They never gave up.

Never give up.

1 comment:

Juice said...

This totally makes sense to me. I have WANTED to be thin forever, but I finally sucked it up and decided that I would make it happen this September. I think my college reunion (which I skipped) and my upcoming high school reunion (next year) gave me some motivation, but really it was jsut about me being ready.

A good friend lost a lot of weight on WW several years ago and has kept it off, so I knew the tools to help me were there, but I was not ready to do it. I guess everyone gets there in their own time.