Sunday, November 2, 2008

Working on it

I was on my way home from work today and I was thinking about something I learned when I was seeing a therapist (one of the many things I've tried in my struggle to lose weight). I was thinking about how when the going gets tough, Lisa gets going...and not in a good way! What I mean is, I don't like to do things that I'm not already good at because, as cliche as it sounds, I'm afraid of failure. I get out of doing things that I'm not naturally good at by procrastinating and avoiding. If it's too hard, I give up. I start finding excuses to get out of doing whatever it is that I'm trying to avoid. Or, as you can see from this blog, when things start to go bad I don't come around. I avoid.

Weight loss is my biggest challenge to date. And it's HAAAAARD!! And when I start to slip, instead of increasing my efforts I just give up. I stop blogging, stop tracking my food, stop trying. I make excuses.

I'm not a natural when it comes to weight loss and when I get to my goal, I won't be a natural at keeping it off. That's just the way it is. I'm going to have work at this. I'm going to have to work hard at this. And when I start to slip - and I will - I have to remind myself that I don't have to be perfect at this. A slip up is not a failure, the only failure is giving up. And I will not give up.

Never. Give. Up.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

hi! thanks for finding my blog, because it made me find yours! I totally understand what you are saying about not wanting to fail.

when my husband lost his job, i was quick to throw in the towel on the diet, blaming it on lack of funds. now, that we've had time off and i can feel the weight coming back...i can't wait to get back on it!

keep up the great work girl! we're in this together!