Friday, August 22, 2008

Do I need a new job?

My job is pretty interesting. I really like it, mostly. But it's shift work and that's really hard on me. My worst days, emotionally and physically, are the days after I'm scheduled to work until 1:30 a.m. I come home and it's 2:30 before I get to bed and usually 3 before I'm asleep. The girls are usually up by 8:00. That's five hours.

I used to do just fine on five hours sleep. Not anymore. I come home hungry at 1:30 in the morning, so I eat. I'll usually have leftovers from dinner and/or something snacky...cookies, cake, whatever is handy. Then, after my whole five hours of sleep, I wake up hungry again. And because I've had an insufficient amount of sleep, the next day I'm cranky, depressed, too tired to exercise and very likely to make poor food choices.

I only work part time but it feels like so much more! Partly because I don't work the same days or shifts each week. It varies greatly from week to week and that's difficult in itself. Other people don't seem to have a problem with it and most of them work full time. I can only say that I'm older than most of the people I work with and I'm one of only a couple of people that have families with small children to look after. Before I had children, I would have thought that was just an excuse...but now, I know different!

I've made a request to have my schedule normalized somewhat. Hopefully, something will come of it. If not, I really don't know what I'll do. This is too hard.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Sit down and figure out the pro's and con's of your job. Sometimes you and family takes more importance then anything on the list. It's not an easy choice, I'm sure.

Lisa said...

That's good advice. The thing is, I don't really want a new job...I just want new hours. I know it's a package deal, though. So I guess a pros and cons list really is in order.

Jessica said...

You did the right thing though, by asking your boss for new, set hours. It can't hurt to request that. If it doesn't work out, then a list will probably be your best bet.

Mama H said...

I don't know how you function like that. I would be a zombie! Hopefully you can get your hours to be a little better soon!
:-)