Monday, July 14, 2008

Proving myself to myself

Have you ever had a friend that was always promising you things but never followed through? You know who I mean...they say you'll have dinner sometime next week and it doesn't happen, they promise to lend you that movie you've been dying to see but never remember to bring it over...that kind of thing. They are perpetual planners but they never follow through with anything. After awhile, you're not really surprised when they don't come through. You stop taking them seriously and you expect nothing from them at all.

It occurred to me the other day that I am that friend to myself. I have big plans. I plan everything... what to eat, what kind of exercise I'm going to do, my future. And I rarely follow through with anything. And now I've come to realize that even when I'm making all these big plans there's a voice in the back of my mind that just says, "WHAT.EVER." I don't even trust myself to follow through with anything. How sad is that? So, I'm going to work on that. For instance, when I tell myself I'm going to ride my bike to work, I'm going to actually do it. No excuses.

For the record, I did tell myself that I was going to ride my bike to work today and I did, in fact, ride my bike to work. Yay me!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I have that friend too. She's actually an enabler too. She helps me make excuses for why I can't do what I want to do. I don't like her one bit.