Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tea

I'm on a tea kick. I went to my weight loss group meeting last night and they had a speaker from a tea shop. When I first heard she was going to be talking about tea I almost got up and left. I mean, come on...tea? But honestly it was a really interesting topic. She told us about the health benefits of tea (the stuff benefits your heart, digestive system and practically prevents cancer among many other things!) and taught how to properly prepare it and store it and she explained the difference between loose leaf tea and tea that comes in tea bags at the grocery store. There's a pretty big difference. She was a very engaging speaker and she handed out free samples! I got the chocolate mint black tea...it was pretty tasty. Then today, Bonsie and I went to her shop and bought a couple of things. I bought some Strawberry Cream Rooibos (it's not actually "tea" and it's decaf so I'm going to make the girls some sweet iced tea with it) and something called Crime of Passion Green Tea. It's mild and fruity and delicious! I'm trying to get my husband to try some but he seems reluctant.

I'm also thinking of taking a Sunrise Yoga class after the summer is over. I know...how very zen of me!

The thing is, in addition to being fat, I'm depressed. And the depression is not just the result of being fat. I'm pretty sure I've been depressed since my teen years and I wasn't really fat then. And I don't want to be on the dosage of medication that I'm on now for much longer. I don't have a problem taking medicine. I understand that sometimes medicine is the answer. But I'd like to try some alternative therapies too. Like tea and yoga.

I mean, it can't hurt, right?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Good for you trying the alternatives! I'm big on those.