Saturday, February 16, 2008

1/4 cup does NOT equal 1/4 cup....WTF?

One of the reasons I get frustrated while "dieting" is that it seems to be such an all or nothing prospect. As soon as I do something "wrong" I feel like a failure and end up throwing in the towel. Now, this time around I'm not following a strict diet so it's kind of hard to fail but still...situations like the following scenario still have the power to wreck everything.

I bought some whole wheat pancake mix last week - I'm trying to incorporate high grain, low processed foods where ever I can. So the cooking instructions say to use 1/4 cup of pancake batter for 1 pancake. Right. The nutritional info is 140 calories and 3 grams of fiber for 1/4 cup or TWO pancakes! So is 1/4 cup 1 pancake or 2? I'll go with two...but I don't know WHY! I mean, there's not a lot that gets cooked off in the few short minutes the pancakes are in the pan. And the pancakes don't get smaller, they get bigger! So you would think the reverse would happen...one pancake starts off as 1/4 cup but ends up as 1/2 cup...you know? I know it's weird that this has the potential to throw me off track for the day, but it does. Because then I start to think "This is stupid! It's too hard! And I don't want to be doing freakin' math that doesn't make sense at every meal!" And I get angry and resentful that I have to even be doing this in the first place.

The funny thing is, one extra pancake for breakfast on Saturday mornings is not what made me fat in the first place.

1 comment:

K said...

That just kills me. WTF! Do you think the serving size on the box is a dry 1/4 c. and then when you mix the liquid in, you need 1/4 c. of the wet mixture to make one pancake?